Sennybridge in the Brecon Beacons
Tour and Tourist Information Guide
Sennybridge:- the Welsh name of the village is Pont Senni and translates as the bridge over the river Senni. the river Senni shares its name It is located eight miles west of Brecon on the A40 trunk road to Llandovery. two significant factors in the growth of this village were the establishment of a mail route to Llandovery and the building of the Brecon to Neath railway line in 1872.
Sennybridge Castle:- Very little remains of this 13th century castle sometimes referred to as Castell Rhyd-Y-Briw. It is possible that the building of this castle originated with the Welsh prince Llywelyn ap Gruffydd in 1262.
There is a large complex of army huts across the river on the edge of the village which is the accommodation and training headquarters for the 29,000 acre Sennybridge training camp over which covers and infantry men in the British Army carry out training exercises with live ammunition. This training area lies to the north of the designated area of the Brecon
Beacons National Park on the Mynydd Eppynt.
Sennybridge is a sheep and cattle market town. It has developed since the road to Llandovery was built and since the Neath-Brecon railway was completed in the 1800's.
Castell Du, across the Senni, was a 14th century keep where the Fforest Far constable had hunting offenders imprisoned. Scottish farmers, owners of large sheepwalks after the enclosure of the Great Forest started the sheep sales in the early 1800's.
In Sennybridge there are 2 garages and pubs along with various shops, a Post Office and an excellent pottery.
Sennybridge is within easy reach of the Porth-yr-Ogof Caves, Dan-yr-Ogof Caves the award winning showcaves, dinosaur park, dry ski slope, Aberglasney House, Dinefwr Gardens, Middleton Hall, pony trekking and the waterfall country at Ystradfellte renown for the many scenic walks beside the water-falls.
Sennybridge is situated where the River Senni flows into the River Usk, about 8 miles west of Brecon, 16 miles from Ystradgynlais and 12 miles from Llandovery on the northern edge of the Brecon
Beacons National Park. There are is still largely agricultural, open hills and mountains or forestry based and there are fine opportunities for horse riding, bird watching, and walking in the Brecon
Beacons National Park. It has a bilingual school, doctor's surgery and many pubs and places to eat. There are a variety of shops in the village including newsagents, garages, café, crafts, mini supermarkets and a livestock market.
There are bus connections for the train station at Llandovery, Swansea, Shrewsbury and Cardiff. It has good road links with the M4 motorway, and is approximately 45 minutes from the nearest junction. The two airports which are situated at Swansea and Cardiff have good connections with the transport system and are easily reached. There are two public schools, a secondary modern school and a college within 15 minutes travel by road. Sennybridge Resource Centre acts as an outreach centre for Coleg Powys.
The village has a ruined castle which stands on the west bank of the Senni and is believed to have been constructed during the 13th century, once used as a prison by the keepers of Fforest Fawr. Defynnog has an interesting 15th century village church which was formerly the centre of a large parish. The font inside the church bears the only RUNIC inscription in Wales, in the churchyard stands one of the oldest yew trees in the United Kingdom.